Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Human Energy Systems | Activity 1.1
Target Student Performance
Students show their initial proficiencies for the overall unit goals:
- Questioning, investigating, and explaining how the Earth’s climate is changing
- Explaining and predicting how carbon cycles and energy flows in Earth systems.
Resources You Provide
- pencils (1 per student, for paper version)
- 1.1 Human Energy Systems Unit Pretest (1 per student or online)
- 1.1 Assessing the Human Energy Systems Unit Pretest
Print one copy of the 1.1 Human Energy Systems Unit Pretest for each student.
Use the 1.1 Human Energy Systems Unit Pretest to assess students' understanding of global carbon and energy cycling in terms of learning progression levels. You should not give your students grades on the pretest or expect your students to know the correct answers. The document 1.1 Assessing the Human Energy Systems Unit Pretest has assessment guidelines, and identifies correct responses and explaining how students’ responses reveal their learning progression levels.