Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Systems and Scale | Activity 5.4
Target Student Performance
Students explain how matter moves and changes and how energy changes when other organic fuels burn, including (a) wood burning in a fireplace, (b) propane burning in a gas grill, and (c) octane burning in an internal combustion engine.
- 5.4 Other Examples of Combustion PPT
- 5.4 Other Organic Materials Reading: Octane, Gasoline, and Internal Combustion Engines (1 per student)
- 5.4 Other Organic Materials Reading: Propane, and Propane Combustion
- 5.4 Other Organic Materials Reading: Cellulose, and Combustion of Wood
- 5.4 Explaining Combustion of Octane Worksheet
- 5.4 Explaining Combustion of Propane Worksheet
- 5.4 Explaining Combustion of Cellulose Worksheet
- 5.4 Grading the Explaining Combustion of Octane Worksheet
- 5.4 Grading the Explaining Combustion of Propane Worksheet
- 5.4 Grading the Explaining Combustion of Cellulose Worksheet
- (Optional) 5.4 Digging Deeper Gasoline Reading
- Three Questions Handout (Color Version) (1 per student)
- Three Questions Handout (BW Version) (1 per student)
- Questions, Connections, Questions Student Reading Strategy
- Learning Tracking Tool for Systems and Scale (1 per student)
- Assessing the Learning Tracking Tool for Systems and Scale
- (Optional) Big Idea Probe: Fill 'Er Up
- (Optional) Assessing the Big Idea Probe: Fill 'Er Up
Print enough copies of the three of 5.4 Other Organic Materials Readings and 5.4 Explaining Combustion Worksheets for each student to have one reading and the corresponding worksheet. In this activity, your students may use the Three Questions Explanation Checklist on the back of the Three Questions Handout. Be sure to have this available to students, and see the notes in the Modifications at the end of the Activity for ideas about how to use it. Prepare a computer and projector to display the PPT.
Students explore the role of combustion in their home or school and the sources of electricity in their state, and they design an infographic to inform their community of the useful role of combustion and its environmental impact.
What role does natural gas combustion play in our community and what are its environmental impacts?
Combustion in our Community Activity
- Activity 1: Gathering Information
- Activity 2: Designing an Infographic