Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Systems and Scale | Community Connections: Activity 2
Students design infographics to make their community aware of how it uses combustion to power its lifestyle and of the environmental impacts of those uses.
- Blank paper for students to draw infographic plans
- Materials for students to make posters, brochures, and/or webpages
- (Optional) computers for students to make digital products (This website lists several free apps for making infographics: https://blog.bufferapp.com/infographic-makers)
- (From Previous Activity) Combustion in our Community Worksheet (1 per student)
- Assessing Combustion in our Community Worksheet
Students will need their completed Combustion in our Community Worksheets. Prepare a computer with an Internet connection and a projector to show digital student products.
Use discussions to make sure that students understand the labels in the graphs and tables.
Extending the Learning
If students are interested and you have time, students can use the iea site to explore the energy sources used by other states. Students can dig deeper into how steam power plants work. Possible places to start are listed at the end of I.B of the worksheet.