Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Activity 3.3: Tracing Carbon Through an Ecosystem (30 min)
Target Student Performance
Students name carbon pools and the processes that move carbon atoms among pools in terrestrial ecosystems.
Resources You Provide
- (From Previous Lesson) 3.2 Carbon Dice Game Tracking Sheet
- 3.3 Tracing Carbon Through Ecosystems PPT
- 3.3 Tracing Carbon Through Ecosystems Graphic Organizer (1 per student)
- 3.3 Assessing Tracing Carbon Through Ecosystems Graphic Organizer
- (Optional) 3.3 Supplement PPT
Print a copy for each student of 3.3 Tracing Carbon Through Ecosystems Graphic Organizer. Set up a computer and projector for 3.3 Tracing Carbon Through Ecosystems PPT.
Use the discussion as a formative assessment. If your students are having trouble describing carbon atoms moving through pools, you may want to review the graphic organizer and the patterns.
For this activity you will need to revisit some materials from Activity 3.2 Carbon Dice Game.