Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Activity 5.3: Explaining How Fungi Grow: Digestion(40 min)
Target Student Performance
Students explain how matter moves and changes and how energy changes during digestion by a fungus.
Resources You Provide
- (from previous activity) 3.3 Evidence-Based Arguments Tool for Bread Molding
- 5.3 Explaining How Fungi Grow: Digestion PPT
- 5.3 Explanations Tool for Fungi Digestion (1 per student)
- 5.3 Grading the Explanations Tool for Fungi Digestion
- Optional 5.3 How do Decomposers Digest Food? Reading (1 per student)
- Three Questions 11x17 Poster (1 per class)
- Three Questions Handout (Color Version)
- Three Questions Handout (BW Version)
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Carbohydrates 11 x 17 Poster (1 per class)
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Protein 11 x 17 Poster (1 per class)
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Fat 11 x 17 Poster (1 per class)
- Questions, Connections, Questions Student Reading Strategy
- (Optional) Example Decomposers Explanations Handout (1 per student or per group)
- Decomposers Matter Tracing Tool
- Assessing the Decomposers Matter Tracing Tool
Print one copy of the 5.3 Explanations Tool for Fungi Digestion and 5.3 How do Decomposers Digest Food? Reading (if you choose to use it) for each student. Prepare a computer and a projector to display the PPT. Print and hang the Digestion and Biosynthesis 11 x 17 Posters. In this activity, your students will need to use the Three Questions Explanation Checklist on the back of the Three Questions Handout. Be sure to have this available to students, and see the notes in the Modifications at the end of the Activity for ideas about how to use it.
Use 5.3 Grading the Explanations Tool for Fungi Digestion to grade student responses. This worksheet has “grading” in the title (instead of “assessing”) because at this point, students can be held accountable for correct answers. If students are still struggling with these concepts, you may want to revisit parts of the activity they are finding difficult. Use the Assessing the Decomposers Matter Tracing Tool to assess the tool.