Transformations in Matter and Energy Carbon TIME is an NSF-funded partnership led by Michigan State University
Activity 6.2: Explaining Other Examples of Decomposers Growing, Moving, and Functioning (50 min)
Target Student Performance
Students develop integrated accounts of how other fungi (bracket fungi, bread mold, mycorrhizal fungi) grow and function through the processes of digestion, cellular respiration, and biosynthesis.
Resources You Provide
- (from previous lesson) 1.2 Expressing Ideas Tool for Bread Molding
- (from previous lesson) 3.3 Evidence-Based Arguments Tool for Bread Molding
- 6.2 Explaining Other Examples of Decomposers Growing, Moving, and Functioning PPT
- 6.2 Other Decomposers Reading: Bracket Fungi
- 6.2 Other Decomposers Reading: Bread Mold
- 6.2 Other Decomposers Reading: Mycorrhizal Fungi
- 6.2 Bracket Fungi Worksheet
- 6.2 Bread Mold Worksheet
- 6.2 Mycorrhizal Fungi Worksheet
- 6.2 Grading Bracket Fungi Worksheet
- 6.2 Grading Bread Mold Worksheet
- 6.2 Grading Mycorrhizal Fungi Worksheet
- (from previous lesson) Bread Molding Class Results 11 x 17 Poster or (Spreadsheet)
- Three Questions 11x17 Poster (1 per class)
- Three Questions Handout (Color Version)
- Three Questions Handout (BW Version)
Prepare several copies of each version of 6.2 Other Decomposers Reading, and 6.2 Bracket Fungi/Bread Mold/Mycorrhizal Fungi Worksheet so that there is one for each student. Gather the class results poster and spreadsheet from Activity 3.2, as well as their completed copies of 1.2 Expressing Ideas Tool for Bread Molding and 3.3 Evidence-Based Arguments Tool for Bread Molding. Prepare a computer and a projector to display the PPT.
Use 6.2 Grading Bracket Fungi/Bread Mold/Mycorrhizal Fungi Worksheet to grade the explanation tools. Although the decomposers are different, the answers should be similar across all the decomposers.
Emphasize the similarities among the explanations of all decomposers. There are different decomposers, but many of the chemical changes at the atomic-molecular scale are the same. The same rules apply to all examples of decomposers.