Target Student Performance
Students discuss atoms and molecules. Then they use food labels to “zoom into” animal, plant, and decomposer cells to learn that cells are composed of large organic molecules (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, which have high-energy C-C and C-H bonds), as well as water, vitamins, and minerals (which do not provide chemical energy).
- 2.2 Food Labels Worksheet (1 per student)
- 2.2 Grading the Food Labels Worksheet
- 2.2 Molecules Cells Are Made of PPT
- 2.2 Reading Nutrition Labels Handout (1 per pair of students)
- 2.2 Food Label Cards (1 per pair of students)
- (Optional for more demanding classes) Posters are about large organic molecules;
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Carbohydrates 11 x 17 Poster
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Protein 11 x 17 Poster
- Digestion and Biosynthesis of Fat 11 x 17 Poster
- Molecule 11 x 17 Poster
- Metabolic Pathways Poster (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/General_Information/metabolic_pathways_poster.pdf) (1 per class)
Print one copy of 2.2 Food Labels Worksheet for each student. Print the reusable handouts one copy of 2.2 Reading Nutrition Labels Handout and one copy of 2.2 Food Label Cards per pair of students. Print one copy each of the molecule posters and post them on your classroom wall.