Target Student Performance
Students record data about changes in mass and BTB when bread molds and reach consensus about patterns in their data.
Resources You Provide
- bromothymol blue (BTB) solution (less than 1 cup per group of four students)
- digital balance (1 per group of four students)
- plastic Petri dish (1 per group of four students)
- labeled Petri dishes with moldy bread from the Pre-Lesson (1 per student)
- (From previous lesson) Completed Pre 0.1 Bread Mold Investigation Set Up Worksheet
- (From previous lesson) Bread Mold Investigation Class Results 11 x 17 Poster (or Spreadsheet)
- 3.2 Observing Bread Molding Worksheet (1 per student)
- 3.2 Grading the Observing Bread Molding Worksheet
- 3.2 Observing Bread Molding PPT
Prepare the BTB, digital balances, Petri dishes, containers, and the materials from the Pre-Lesson. Use the instructions on the BTB Information and Instructions Handout for details about how to prepare the BTB. If you plan to use the poster to record student data, re-post the poster on the wall. Print one copy of 3.2 Observing Bread Molding Worksheet for each student. Prepare a computer with an overhead projector to display the PPT and video. You may want to print one copy of BTB Color Handout for each group, but this is optional.