Target Student Performance
Students prepare Petri dishes with bread and water, record initial masses, and let bread mold for 7 days. After about a week, the mold should have grown enough to yield robust data for the investigation in Lesson 3.
Resources You Provide
- Bread slices (4 per group of students)
- Digital Balance
- Labels for Petri dishes
- Permanent marker (1 per group of 4 students)
- Petri dishes with 4 lids (4 per group of students)
- Roll of tape (1 per group or class)
- Spray bottle with water for misting the bread (1 per class or group or class)
- Pre 0.1 Bread Mold Investigation Set Up Worksheet (1 per student)
Prepare the bread, spray bottles, Petri dishes, labels, digital balances, and markers. Print one copy of Pre 0.1 Bread Mold Investigation Worksheet for each student. Print one copy of the Bread Mold Class Results 11 x 17 Poster, or prepare a computer and projector to display Bread Mold Class Results Spreadsheet.