- Use the class discussion to interpret how successful your students are at identifying patterns in the class data. Use the 3.3 Grading the Observing Plants in the Light and Dark Worksheet to determine if your students had any trouble with data collection.
- During this activity, note students’ success in observing changes in BTB. Also note students’ ability to reach a consensus about patterns in data and how they interpret results.
- The discussion in step 5 can be helpful for informal assessment in two ways: 1) it can help you assess your students’ skills in identifying sources of error and finding patterns in data, and 2) it can help you assess how well students identify the limits of the evidence. Do they recognize that the investigation does not fully answer the Three Questions?
- Discuss threats to accuracy of measurement.
- Check to see if students can identify unanswered questions from the investigation.