Target Student Performance
Students observe how plants affect BTB in the light and dark, identify patterns in data, and reach consensus with other groups about their results.
Resources You Provide
- Radish plants (either in tubes (GL) or containers (PT) from the Pre-Lesson. Note: 3-4 tubes or 1-2 containers will be plenty for each experiment replicate.
- Dark box, thick black trash bag, or very dark closet (1 per class)
- Fluorescent grow light or sunny windowsill (1 per class)
- Label (1 per group student group)
- Petri dish with blue BTB (1 per container/student group)
- Petri dish with yellow BTB (1 per container/student group)
- Sealable 6.8 liter (or 29 cup) container (1 per group)
- (From previous lesson) 3.1 Predictions and Planning Tool for Plant Investigations with student answers
- 3.3 Observing Plants in the Light and Dark Worksheet (1 per student)
- 3.3 Grading the Observing Plants in the Light and Dark Worksheet
- 3.3 Observing Plants in the Light and Dark PPT
- 3.3 Plants in the Light and Dark Class Results 11 x 17 Poster
- Optional 3.5 Evidence-Based Arguments Tool for Plants
- Carbon TIME Growing Plants Video
Assign each group of students a treatment (light or dark). For each group, select growing radishes (3-4 GL tubes or 1-2 PT containers) that were planted in the Plants Unit Pre-Lesson. For each group, provide 1 sealable 6.8-liter (29 cup) container, one Petri dish of blue BTB, one Petri dish of yellow BTB, and a label. Prepare enough space under a grow light or in a sunny windowsill for the “plants in the light” containers, and enough room in a dark closet for the “plants in the dark” containers. Optionally, print a few copies of the BTB Color Handout for students to use as a color reference.
- Refer to the BTB Information and Instructions Handout for information about preparing BTB.
- Prepare your computer and projector for the 3.3 Observing Plants in the Light and Dark PPT.
- Print one copy per student of the 3.3 Observing Plants in the Light and Dark Worksheet.
- Print one copy of the 3.3 Plants in the Light and Dark Class Results 11 x 17 Poster.