Students “zoom into” plants, animals, and decomposers to learn about structures and functions that they all share:
- All organisms are made of cells.
- All the functions of organisms are done by their cells.
- All cells are made of molecules, including large organic molecules (fats, carbohydrates, and proteins).
- All functions of cells involve moving and changing molecules.
What makes up our food?
Activities in this Lesson
Note: Activities 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 are repeating activities:
They are the same in the three organism-scale units: Animals, Plants, and Decomposers. Activity 2.4 focuses specifically on plants. Teach Activities 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 during the first of the organism-scale units you teach (Animals, Plants or Decomposers). These activities can be skipped when you teach subsequent organism-scale units. Activity 2.4 is different for each unit though and should be taught each time.
- Activity 2.1: Zooming into Plants, Animals, and Decomposers (40 min)
- Activity 2.2: Molecules Cells Are Made of (45 min)
- Activity 2.3: Molecules in Cells Quiz (20 min)
- Activity 2.4: Questions about Plants (20 min)