Target Student Performance
Students explain how matter moves and changes and how energy changes when methane burns (connecting macroscopic observations with atomic-molecular models and using the principles of conservation of matter and energy).
- 5.2 Explanations Tool for Methane Burning (1 per student)
- 5.2 Explaining Methane Burning PPT
- 5.2 Grading Explanations Tools for Methane Burning
- Three Questions Handout (Color Version) (1 per student)
- Three Questions Handout (BW Version) (1 per student)
- (Optional) Example Systems and Scale Explanations Handout (1 per student or per group)
Print one copy of the 5.2 Explanations Tool for Methane Burning for each student. In this activity, your students will need to use the Three Questions Explanations Checklist on the back of the Three Questions Handout. Be sure to have this available to students, and see the notes in the Modifications at the end of the Activity for ideas about how to use it.